Wednesday 14 February 2018

Weather watching

Temperature blankets seem to be the very in thing the past couple of years, the idea being you take the temperature every day, convert that in to a colour (from a preset list) and you knit or crochet that colour in to a scarf or blanket. At first I was very reluctant to be drawn in to a project that required my attention every single day, what if I missed a day? What if I get my dimensions wrong and I end up with some thing thats far too big or skinny or unusable, a year is a long time to have some thing you don't like at the end of it.
Last year I thought about it, then dropped the whole idea. As the end of the year closed in, the discussions surrounding people starting one up started again and I looked in to the idea once more, I found a website that will give me high and low temperatures for at least 2 weeks so if I didn't do it every day its easy to catch up. And then I remembered this year is a big enough year that if I was going to do a blanket like this, it would be a year worth remembering.  I have been with my husband for 20 years this October, we both have been fans of the band that brought us together, for 30 years, and this August, that band, Runrig will perform their last ever concert and we are lucky enough to be going. It makes me happy and sad all at the same time, happy as its the first concert we have been able to go to in a long while, but sad it will be the last one ever. The band mean a lot for us both, it will be a bittersweet day!


Rainbow inspired of course

Enough maudlin! I decided to go for it, I picked my yarn, relying on my old favourite stylecraft special dk and its huge range of colours, I picked 8 and assigned them all a value, from purple to note temps less than 0c right up to lipstick for temps between 24-27c (I do have a standby colour just in case temps rise above 27c but its unlikely!) I of course didn't want a simple line blanket, I was worried about the proportions of doing a 365 row blanket! But I found a solution. Granny squares, two row tiny granny squares, the inner portion noting the lowest temp of the day, the outer row noting the highest temp. Also I will be using beads to mark birthdays, anniversaries etc as I thought it would make a nice record of the year. Plus I already know approximately how big the finished project will be. I like that kind of control!

Every day until 11/2

Nice cold day bottom left!

 Don't they look fab? I am already fascinated by the range of temps we have had so far this year, I've already had to use my colour for mid teens temps (lime green), didn't expect that, also used my purple for sub zero temps, I am sure my husband is already bored of me going "oooo new temp combo today!" its going to be a long year for him. I'm already excited that this week I get to use my beads for the first time as today is my daughters birthday. I am easily pleased! The finished blanket is 18 squares wide and 21 long, I have grey squares to mark the start of each month, with an additional one at the end of the year to make up numbers. I am looking forward to seeing how the  year pans out now, what colour combos will we see? Who knows..
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment